Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Dahi Chicken - yoghurt, lemon, dry chicken.


As I write this from my little corner in a room full of crisp sunlight, I am surrounded by silence and look forward to the next few hours to myself. Little M started big school yesterday. It feels great to have a few hours to yourself in which I try to wind up my work, blogging and household chores.

Every homemaker has certain recipes for days when they do not have enough energy or time to get into the business of chopping lots of veggies and preparing a full-fledged meal or a separate tadka or tempering.

This Dahi Chicken or Yoghurt Chicken recipe that I share here today is one of those. I am proud to share this recipe here as the person behind its origin is my papa. :-) I came to know what a master chef my father is when we visited Delhi in November 2012 when I tasted the most juiciest and tender melt in the mouth mutton and the most delicious dry chicken. His mutton kadhai is out of the world and a dish I can never have enough of. See my father's mutton kadhai recipe here!


Being a homemaker who likes to cook every meal myself, I like delicious, nutritious recipes that can be put on the dining table in under 30 minutes. This Dahi Chicken takes only ginger garlic, yoghurt, lemon juice and butter. This is a dry recipe and it can be served as a starter or even scooped with hot and fresh chapattis for a quick meal.

This dahi chicken can beat the tandoori chicken any day, I say!

The leftover chicken pieces (bones removed) were used in the morning to prep up chicken paratha rolls to pack for Little M's school.

The recipe is simple and takes not more than 40 minutes.

Prepping time: 10 min
Cooking time: 20-30 min
Difficulty level: Easy

Ingredients

Chicken 1kg skinless, cut in medium pieces
Yoghurt 1 cup
Chopped ginger, garlic (5-6 tea spoons each)
Slit/Chopped green chillies (3-4)
Butter (about 100gms)
Salt, to taste
Pepper 1 tsp
Lemon juice (3-4 lemons)

Method:


1) In a wok, heat butter. Put chopped ginger and saute.




2) Let it turn golden and then add garlic and green chilies.




3) Saute till the raw smell of garlic disappears and then add the chicken pieces, yoghurt.





4) Keep stirring to avoid it from sticking to the bottom of the wok for about 15 min or till the chicken is tender.



5) Now add salt, lemon juice, pepper. Keep stirring in between. Let it dry completely. Only butter would be left at the bottom.


Sprinkle coriander leaves and serve as a dry starter or as a main meal with hot phulkas or chapatti.




I would highly recommend this recipe. If you try it, do tell me how did you like it.

Thanks for reading! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts. I'd love to read them!