Happy New Year to you all.
Little M blew six candles off a couple of weeks ago and I made a chocolate cake for his birthday weekend.
This chocolate cake I made after a long gap and I love how easy and hassle-free it is. This cake is also to console the non-baker that I am and to surprise the family on special days. I am happy to share the recipe with you all..this one is a keeper, I say. Also, for firsts, I tried decorating the cake with some icing and it turned out really well. This icing is so simple and can also be done in under 5 minutes in a microwave and a handful of ingredients (my most favourite part).
I hardly try my hand at making cakes but this microwave chocolate cake is really something. It is super easy, quick and a good dessert to delight guests or even an over-excited toddler, in a jiffy. Please take down the recipe and once you try it out you won't even have to look back at as it is so easy to remember with only a handful of ingredients and simple measurements.
To take this cake up a notch I have decorated it with icing sugar and a ganache of chocolate, cream and butter - which is so easy you'll be surprised. Best part? You can store it in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days, just remember to keep it out of the fridge for at least 30 minutes prior to serving since refrigerating makes the cake little hard. You may also microwave it for 20 seconds and serve it warm with some ice cream.
All purpose flour: 1 cup
Icing Sugar: 1 cup
Melted Butter: 1/2 cup
Baking powder: 1 tsp
Baking soda: 1 tsp
Cocoa powder: 3 tbsp
Milk: 5 tbsp
Vanilla essence: 4-5 drops
For the chocolate icing
Chocolate: 1 cup
Cream: 4 tbsp
Butter: 2 tbsp
Method for making cake:
1. Break eggs in a bowl, put butter, sugar and vanilla essence.
2. Beat it with the help of a hand blender or whisk until the mixture thickens (about 6-8 min).
3. Sift together all purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and soda in a bowl.
4. Mix with the egg mix and fold. Do not beat, just mix gently. Add milk at this stage.
5. Grease a microwave safe container with melted butter. Pour the batter and micriwave on high for 5 min and then let it stand inside for 2 min.
6. Insert a toothpick in the center of the cake and if it comes out clean, it means the cake is ready.
Method for making chocolate icing:
In bowl add chocolate and cream and pop it in the microwave for first 10 seconds. Stop. Stir a bit and then microwave again for 10 seconds and make sure chocolate is melted. Once the mixture looks almost melted add in the butter and stir.
Decorating the cake:
Pour the warm chocolate sauce on top of the cake. garnish the cake with dry fruits, icing sugar and some melted white chocolate.