Making superb Chinese food with Indian tadka is one of my goals. And the reason is because Indo-Chinese food is my favourite.
This veg fried rice recipe is simple and quick (ready in under 30min). You can serve it as a standalone or accompanied with Veg Manchurian, Chilli Paneer, Chicken Chilli or even with this Chilli Tofu recipe.
It is a favourite recipe for me as its hassle-free, simple and full of colourful vegetables. I love to feed this dish full of veggies to Little M.
The vegetables I used are orange and green bell pepper, orange and red carrots and onions, but you can go ahead and add mushrooms, baby corn, peas and cabbage too.
1 glass/cup rice
1 finely chopped Australian carrot (orange)
1 finely chopped Indian carrot (red)
1 finely chopped green bell pepper (capsicum)
1 finely chopped orange bell pepper
4-5 finely chopped garlic cloves
2-3 spring onion whites chopped vertically
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp white vinegar
1/2 tbsp black pepper powder
2-3 tbsp oil
salt to taste
1. Start by washing and soaking rice in enough water. Keep them soaked for at least 15min.
2. In a large vessel, heat twice the amount of water to the quantity of rice you are using.
3. Add 1 tbsp of ghee or oil to water along with 1tsp salt.
4. Now add soaked rice minus the water to the boiling water and let it cooked until nearly done.
5. When rice seems nearly cooked, remove from heat and drain the water out of the rice using a colander. Keep aside so the rice cools down.
Tip: To make sure the rice doesn't stick to each other, gently rinse the rice in cold water using the colander to ensure that they stop cooking. (I wish I had pictures of making the rice!)
Now let's start with the stir frying of our vegetables.
1. In a large non-stick wok, pour 2 tbsp oil and add the chopped garlic. On medium to more heat, add spring onion whites to it. Stir. At this stage, you can put slit green chili if you want to make it a bit spicy.
2. Now add the finely chopped red onions. Stir.
Do not let the onions or any of the vegetables turn brown. Make sure all your vegetables are chopped and ready before you start.
3. Now add the veggies. Stir fry.
4. At this stage I covered the wok for 2 min with a lid to allow the carrots to soften. Slow the heat to minimum to make sure the veggies don't burn or become mushy.
5. Remove the lid after 2 min and check if your carrots are done. Now add the soy sauce, salt and black pepper powder. Stir.
6. Add in the rice and try to mix carefully without breaking the rice using two spoons or kadchi.
Your veg fried rice is ready!
Serve hot and garnish with finely chopped greens of spring onion.
I would recommend mothers with fussy-eaters to offer this delicious looking stir fry rice to you little ones. Its packed with the goodness of veggies and will be gobbled down within minutes by the little ones.
Please don't leave without writing a word or two. I would love to read what you think of this recipe. :-)