Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Pudina Chutney or Mint-Coriander Dip


Pudina Chutney or Mint-Coriander Dip is a way of life for people like me who love everything spicy! All the street food in India, specially in Delhi is bathed and served with generous amounts of this spicy and tangy mint dip.

We, Punjabis don't think about pakodas (Indian fritters) without this chutney. It is a must with pakodas!


The fragrance of mint leaves is another favourite herb fragrance of mine along with the fragrance of green ilaichi or green cardomom, tulsi or basil and dhaniya or coriander leaves.

The fresh mint chutney, made by my late grandmother by grinding mint and coriander leaves along with green chilies and raw mango with a mortar and pestle, tempts my taste buds.


Back then there were no food processors or blenders. The version that my granny made using mortar and pestle and her arm power, used to have such a nice and bright hue of green and as soon as she would start grinding the leaves, the fragrance of mint would come wafting from the kitchen.

I have a yummy sour and tangy taste in my mouth as I am writing about this nostalgic fragrance of pudina chutney made by my granny.



This dip can be made with a number of variations and ingredients like ginger-garlic can also be added. I have used the same ingredients that my granny used and my mother uses:

2 cups mint leaves
1 cup coriander leaves
5-6 green chilies
1 raw mango
1 amla or Indian gooseberry
1 medium sized onion
Salt to taste



I grind it using my hand blender, adding 2-3 spoons of water when needed.



And its done! Super simple. Store it in an air-tight jar or container for about a week in the fridge.



Eat it with your daal-chawal (rice and lentil), chapatti and sabzi (vegetable) combo or gorge on some pakodas with this spicy dip, or line your sandwiches with it for that perfect tangy taste.

You can even mix in two spoons of yoghurt in it to make a dip to go along with the biryani or bread pakodas (batter fried bread fritters).

This pudina chutney makes any dish tangy and flavourful!

How do you make your dips?
Do you like your dips to be spicy or creamy?

Do share with me your mint and coriander tales! I would love to read them. Thanks for reading! :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts. I'd love to read them!